Flying Lessons

When you have come to the edge of all the light you have
And step into the darkness of the unknown
Believe that one of the two will happen to you
Either you'll find something solid to stand on
Or you'll be taught to fly!

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Work


What do you think about work? Do you only work your 8 hours to get to the end of a day and ultimately the end of the week? To the TGIF? Just can't wait till the weekend gets here and dread when Monday morning rolls around?

Well, I say to you.....you are in the wrong job. This existence is too short to go through wishing the time away. We should work, and work hard each day. It will give us a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. And it doesn't really matter if you receive accolades from the outside (i.e. "pats on the back") you still need to give that 100% of yourself for yourself. Too many people cheat the system, giving only the minimum required and don't really put all they have into the job they were paid to do.

I am in the health care industry. And I often wonder when I am treated badly by someone I am doing business with like a plumber or the mechanic fixing my car....if he were in my office and I were giving him the same caliber of treatment he was giving to me how would he like it. The answer is probably not at all. And besides....I could not do that. I have too much self respect and pride in my job. And although, professional liability is a factor, it is not the only reason that I give 100% at work. It is because I care about what I do and how I do it.

Retirement age has been moved to age 67. I am glad of that because so many times I see people who are doing very well and then after they retire their health suddenly starts to deteriorate. And within a few years (and many times less) they die. Because they have nothing to get up for, nothing to live for. Life loses it's spark for them.

So I think that retirement is overrated. For what it's worth.......
******************************************
THE HIGHEST REWARD FOR A PERSON'S TOIL IS NOT WHAT THEY GET FOR IT, BUT WHAT THEY BECOME BY IT.
NEVER TURN DOWN A JOB BECAUSE YOU THINK IT'S TOO SMALL; YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE IT CAN LEAD.
WHERE EVER YOU ARE, BE TOTALLY THERE.
YOUR KEY TO FREEDOM LIES IN THE POWER TO CONTROL YOUR THOUGHTS.
And with that I sign off respectfully,
Brenda.....AKA desertsealion

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In Japan, three professions get the honorific, sensei. A lawyer, A doctor, and A teacher. :) It has been pretty great being a sensei, but I really had a hard time connecting with the kids 1st semester.

Japan is so traditional, and I am so unconventional. Much more than when you were in my class. My last school in KCMO was great about teacher autonomy. I could really fly there, but the kids were mostly damaged goods from broken homes, broken lives, and seemed mostly interested in watching dumb ytube clips of people getting kicked between their legs.

When the school fell on hard times, and staff were going to have to be cut, I jumped at the chance to make it back overseas.

Japan is a Tax haven, 4%, and the health care is like you wouldn't believe! So, I am here until I am at least 65.

Social security will let me work 40hrs/mo and still retain my monthly check deposited in Yen each month. So, next year I plan on affiliating with a Japanese University as an adjunct prof. I have done that before in KC at the Ottawa University Campus.

So, it is entirely possible for you and some chums or your daughter to come over here and hang out on the side of this mountain.

The ocean is about a 20 minute hike. I think we could have a lot of fun cooking for folks. It would be a hoot.

Think about it.

Dave

Unknown said...

I have often taken a lot of "small" jobs, usually waiting tables in a restaurant. The most recent was a five year stint at the Rainforest Cafe in KC. If you have never been, it is sort of Disneyland with Booze. :) It ended in January '09. That's right 61 and waiting tables.

I joked that I waited tables to support my teaching habit. But it also meant that I always had money in my pocket, and I was able to put into practice some of the sales techniques my father taught me while growing up in the car business.

In addition, it is a kid driven business. When school was in session, the Forest was pretty small, when school was out, we were packed by small fry dragging in mom's, dad's, grandparents, or whoever had the stamina to sit through crashing thunderstorms, trumpeting elephants, and an animated family of Gorillas.

I had more fun than the monkeys did. :) But one night, I saw a familiar blue striped habit on a dark skinned woman. A member of the Sisters of Charity. So I went over and introduced myself with the Swahili greeting, "Jambo!"

She practically dropped her fork. :) Then I told her about Addis, finding Makelle, and how Mother Theresa had reached our hearts. She smiled and told me that Sister Regina, Mother Superior in '74 in Addis, was now the leader for all East Africa.

I also have her card, which I recently sent to Mak when she started making noises about going in a search for her roots.

I think this illustrates what you were saying in your blog. No job is too small. Where never know what doors might open for us. Also, I took a lot of pride in being the top rated waiter about 80% of the time. About 95% of the time I was in the top 3 sellers.

Selling in this case meant % average per customer not volume. One thing I wouldn't do was push food, especially if the customer was obese. The restaurant business is based on suggestion. I could make a salad water in your mouth before it ever came to the table. :)

But more often, I would loose, and the customer would go for the high fat content, or some really obscene dessert. Jim Anderson, very overweight manager, really liked me, but would often say, "Why didn't you see them a Volcano instead of the ice cream scoop?"

"Oh I tried boss, but you know they were too happy from the main course! No room." It was a small fib. I never really suggested desserts unless it was a celebration like a birthday or anniversary. Then it was usually the Banana with the Chocolate drizzled over it with a scoop of vanilla and I would stick a candle in the middle. It was a lot smaller, a lot cheaper, but so beautiful!

I can't wait to talk to you. It is about midnight here, so it will probably my Saturday morning and your Friday night or my Sunday morning and your Saturday night or my Monday morning and your Sunday night.

Take your pick! I wake up around 8 or 9 Kobe time, take a shower and write for about 3 or 4 hours. But tomorrow, my thursday I am scheduled to go to the hospital. And it is payday from SS, so that means some shopping, paying some utility bills, blah blah.

Later!

Dave